Monday, November 16, 2009

Like a Sea Turtle


I've been going to this beach in Florida since before I was born. My parents loved this place and I have tried to make a trip there at least once a year like some kind of logger head sea turtle returning to the sands of its birth ever since.

The sand is almost pure white clear since it is 99% pure quartz crystal. It is the texture of fine powder sugar. In the middle of the hottest day the sand is cool because it is so reflective. When I was a kid I thought all beaches were like Crescent Beach. The giant arc of sand is created by a natural rock outcropping called Point of Rocks.

The white soft sand and warm slat water rejuvenate my soul . My next visit there will be in August of 2010 which seems like a long way away, So if your ever on the west coast of Florida near Sarasota stop off at Siesta Key and enjoy the fine sands of Crescent Beach!

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture! I was watching "Blue Planet" on the Discover Channel and learned that most white sand comes from parrot fish. They munch on the coral and the biproduct of their lunch becomes beautiful white sandy beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard Parrot Fish beautiful Blues gnawing on coral in Bonaire! If you get Siesta Key sand in your shoes you always return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to take a vacation to Florida and escape teh Missouri cold.

    ReplyDelete